Today has been a very full day. It's been amazing but we're looking forward to some more relaxing days in our next two cities. The day began again with breakfast at the hotel. Breakfast includes pasties, croissants, sandwich meat, and fresh fruit from a buffet. Eggs, toast, and bacon are made to order. Each of these items is different that what are used to in America. I had an espresso and Sarah of course stuck to juice and water.
We've been in three taxis today which are our first of the trip. Taxis are incredibly easy to hail in Rome, they are everywhere. And these taxi drivers are much wilder than even a NYC taxi driver. The roads are much different here and the way people drive. I love flying around with these crazy Italian taxi drivers but Sarah's clinching my hand around every corner. Amazingly, we have not witnessed or been involved in any accidents.
Our first tour of the day was of the Vatican. We learned as we arrived at the tour that because of the late Pope's beatification we would be unable to see St. Peters Basilica. This was disappointing but there was still so much to see. The Vatican tour is three hours and we are each given a radio and earphone for one ear and our tour guide has a microphone. I typically have very little interest in art but anybody can become engaged in art with this much history, and it is truly impressive. The Vatican museum hallways are lined with remarkable works of art painted on the walls and ceilings, sculptures, tapestries, and the floors are unlike any other. I took photos throughout the tour but you are not allowed to take any photos in the Sistine Chapel. Our tour guide warned us of this and the fact that the Roman guards that you see in the Sistine Chapel will yell at any photo takers in true Roman fashion (this did not stop me). I managed to take 6 photos but a guard did spot me. He did not yell but politely asked that I not take any pictures.
Following the tour we tried to go to the Vatican Square and maybe catch an up close view of at least the exterior of St. Peters Basilica. We made it right up to the square but they were not allowing anymore people in through the metal detectors. It was a madhouse and not worth battling. We were up against the clock because our Coliseum tour started in 2 hours across town and we needed to get lunch. So, we got in a taxi and had him drop us at a restaurant near the Coliseum. The Coliseum tour lasted just over three hours, we are getting in serious shape on this vacation! Both of our tour guides today had extensive knowledge and did a great job. The Coliseum tour included a full tour of the Coliseum but that only covered about half the tour, then we proceeded to the adjacent Roman ruins. It's hard to fathom all of the work that went into building the historic buildings throughout Rome centuries ago, and the thousands of animals and people that lost their lives in the Coliseum. I'm in no hurry to go home yet but I can't wait to watch Gladiator once we're home!
Of all places to go for dinner in Rome we found an irish pub from the Rick Steves book. They served Peroni beer and this irish pub was quite Italian, obviously. This was the first time I fully experienced the language barrier. Our server spoke less English than I do Italian. He didn't understand I wanted sauerkraut with my wurstel. Even with portions of the menu in English we did not know what we were ordering. It was another cultural experience and we're looking forward to Venice tomorrow!
Buona note.
Hey there! I wrote a lot of comments back ... and clicked "preview" and it all went into outer space or somewhere! So, I guess it was telling me I was too wordy and to make my comments more brief :-)!
ReplyDeleteThanks for this great re-cap of today's events. I'm so glad that you were able to still have a great experience after learning of Bin Laden's death yesterday and possible threats to travelers. I'm grateful for your wonderful travel agent's comforting email.
I related COMPLETELY to the taxi/traffic situation!! What a RIOT! It was a real eye-opener to me in Belgium and The Netherlands. I couldn't BELIEVE how they drive without lines, pedestrians, bicycles, few signs and traffic signals ... CRAZY!
Wanna see Gladiator, too! So much history over there. Glad you two are enjoying it all together. And that the next section of the trip will (hopefully) be more restful.
LOVE this opportunity to be aware of your experiences and a part of it!
We love you and pray for you every day!
XOXO
Momma Terp